Sunday 1 July 2012

A bit of my gaming history

So, a bit of my gaming history then:

Like so many Brits of my generation, my first major exposure to home videogames came via my primary school, and the legend that is Grannys Garden on the BBC Model B. Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of gamers got their first hit from this educational title, either in school IT lessons or through a school computer club.

Following that, I recall playing on my neighbours Atari 2600, and wasting many an afternoon on River Raid, instead of playing outside. Then my parents caved in to my incessant demanding and bought me and my brother a Commodore C16. Many a happy hour was spent on Galaxians and BMX Racer. This was my primary platrom for at least 5 years, supplemented with trips to my friend Pauls house to play on his ZX Spectrum 48k.

It was there that I was introduced to the genius of Sabotuer, and one of the best Speccy games ever: Robocop. Eventually, I persuaded my folks to upgrade my home computer to a ZX Spectrum 128 +2a, complete with crappy light gun and James Bond game. I probably had more games for this oe computer than any other format I have ever owned (and will ever likely own). Between tape trading, copying games I borrowed from the local library, and the magazines of the day.

After this, I abandoned home computers for a while and swithced to consoles, initially owning a Sega Master System. This was followed by my all time favorite system, the Sega Megadrive, and my Nintendo Game Boy. At some point We aquired a Famiclone, namely the Scorpion 8. This was my gaming heyday, and thanks to a brilliant shop near my parents house myself and my brother owned over 150 titles for the Megadrive throughout its 'active' period.

I then returned to home computers, having purchased the first in a long line of PCs (a 386sx with 1mb ram and 40mb of HDD). This was followed by a P100 with 4mb of ram, later upgraed to 8mb and a 3dfx Voodoo 3d accelerator. When i moved away to university, I purcheased my own PC for the first time, a Cyrix MII300 based system to which I immediatley added a Voodoo Banshee. On top of this for maximum gaming fun I purched an N64.

After returning home from my 3 years at uni, I quickly added a PSOne to my gaming setup. This was followed about 12 months later by a PS2. I then graduated to a GameCube (of which I have many fond memories), and my brothers Dreamcast. Finally, I added an Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, DS and 3DS to my setup.

Phew.

In the last 12-18 months I have added a few 'gap-fillers' to my collection: Sega Saturn, Xbox, and GBA.

So, my current collection is:

Sony PlayStation (original grey design)
Sony PSOne
Sony PS2 'Phat'
Sony PS3
Sony PSP
Nintendo Game Boy Advance
Nintendo GameCube
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo Wii
Microsoft Xbox
Microsoft Xbox 360
Sega Saturn

No comments:

Post a Comment